Research is “creative and systematic work undertaken to extend the stock of knowledge”. It involves the collection, organization, and analysis of data to increase understanding of a topic or issue.¹ Research in common expression refers to a search for knowledge. Once may outline research as a scientific and systematic search for pertinent data on a specific topic. In fact, research is an art of scientific investigation. The Advanced Learner’s Dictionary of Current English lays down the meaning of research as “a careful investigation or inquiry specially through look for new facts in any branch of knowledge.”² Redman and Mory outline research as a “systematized effort to achieve new knowledge.”³
PURPOSE OF RESEARCH:
The primary functions of basic research (as opposition applied research) are documentation, discovery, interpretation, and therefore the research and development of strategies and systems for the advancement of human knowledge.⁴ The aim of research is to find answers to queries through the applying of scientific procedures. The main purpose of research is to search out the reality that is hidden and that has not been discovered as earlier. Though every research study has its own specific purpose, we tend to might imagine of research purpose as falling into various following broad categories:
1. To realize familiarity with development or to attain new insights into it (studies with this object in view are termed as diagnostic research studies);
2. To portray accurately the characteristics of a selected individual, scenario, or a group (studies with this object in view are called descriptive research studies);
3. To analyze the frequency with that one thing happens or with that it’s related to something else (studies with this object in view are called diagnostic research studies);
4. To check a hypothesis of a causative relationship between variables (such studies are called hypothesis-testing research studies).
MOTIVATION IN RESEARCH:
What makes folks to undertake research? This can be a matter of elementary importance. The doable motives for doing research is also either one or additional of the following:
1. Want to induce a research degree along side its of import benefits;
2. Want to face the challenge in determination the unsolved issues, i.e., concern over sensible issues initiates research;
3. Want to induce intellectual joy of performing some inventive work;
4. Want to be of service to society;
5. Want to induce reputability.
However, this can be not associate complete list of things motivating folks to undertake research studies. more factors like directives of governments, employment conditions, curiosity regarding new things, want to know causative relationships, social thinking and waking up, and therefore the like could yet inspire (or now and then compel) folks to perform research operations.
SIGNIFICANCE OF RESEARCH:
The role of research in many fields of applied political economy, whether or not associated with business or to the economy as a full, has greatly hyperbolic in modern world. The progressively advanced nature of business and government has targeted attention on the utilization of research in determination operational issues. Research, as associate aid to policy, has gained else importance, each for government and business.⁵
- Frascati Manual. The Measurement of Scientific, Technological and Innovation Activities. OECD (2015). doi:10.1787/9789264239012-en. ISBN 978-9264238800.
- The Advanced Learner’s Dictionary of Current English, Oxford, 1952, p. 1069.
- L.V. Redman and A.V.H. Mory, The Romance of Research, 1923, p.10.
- C.R. Kothari; Research methodology, methods and techniques, 2nd revised edition, pp-5. ISBN (13) : 978-81-224-2488-1.