Eye bank is an organization which deals with the collectin, storage and distribution of cornea for the purpose of corneal grifting, research and supply of the eye tissue for other ophthalmic purpose.
- Promotion of eye donation by increasing awareness about eye donation to the general public.
- Registration of the pledger for eye donation.
- Collection of the donated eyes from the deceased.
- Receiving and processing the donor eyes.
- Preservation of the tissue for short, intermediate, long or very long term.
- Distribution of the donor tissues to the corneal surgeons.
- Research activites for improvement of the preservation methodology, corneal substitute and utilization of the other components of eye.
EYE BANK PERSONAL:
- Eye bank in-charge:
He should be a qualified ophthalmologist to evalute, process and distributed the donor tissue.
- Eye bank technician:
The duties of a trained eye bank technician are:
- To keep the eye collection kits ready.
- To assists in enucleation of donor eyes.
- To record data pertaining to donor material and waiting lists of patients.
- To process and treat the donor eyes with antibiotics.
- To assist in corneal preservation and storage.
- To maintain meticulous records.
- To coordinate with other eye banks.
- To deal with other eye bank an exert with efficiency regarding donor’s correspondence.
- To distribute cornea to eye surgeins/eye banks.
- Medical social worker or publick relation officer is required:
- To supply publicity material to common public.
- To promote voluntary eye donation.
He may be a voluntary or paid worker.
- Driver-cum-projectionist is required;
- To maintain vehicle of the eye bank.
- To screen films of eye donation promotion in the community.
EYE COLLECTION CENTRES:
Eye collection centers are the peripheral satellites of an eye bank for better functioning. One collection centre is viably located at an urban area with a population of more than 200,000. About 4-5 collection centres are attached with each eye bank.
Fuctions of eye collections center are:
- Local publicity for eye donation.
- Registration of voluntary donors.
- Arrangement for collection of eyes after death.
- Initial processing, packing and transportation of collected eyes to the attached eye bank.
Personal needed for eye collection center are:
- Ophthalmic technician trained in eye bank.
- Services of honorary ophthalmic surgeon or medical officers trained in enucleation available on call.
The collection and use of donated eyes come under the preview of ‘The Transplantation of Human Organs.’
Facts about eye donation:
- Almost anyone at any age can pledge to donate eyes after death; all that is needed is a clear healthy cornea.
- The eyes have to be removed within six hours of death.
- Eye donation gives sight to two blind persons as one eye is transplanted to one blind person.
- The eyes can be pledge to an eye bank at the time of death.
- The donated eyes are never bought od sold. Eye donation is never refused.
- The eye cannot be removed from a living human being in splite of his/her consent and wish.
Read More Article: